Technical Publishing Consultant,
Photographer, author -- mostly retired
Located in Michigan, Detroit Metro area.
Currently none: Might be interested in
the right project.
How BP Oiled the Gulf -- an illustrated eBook that satirizes the
politics and PR that accompanied the BP oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico.
Illustrations done with my daughter Amy Welsh. (Buy
it for the Kindle) or (Buy
it for the Nook)
9/93 to present-- Explainamation
Partner in a technical publishing business. Work with clients to meet their
publishing needs. Includes:
- Wrote book about TRS-80 computer (with Theresa).
Available at our
Amazon.com or as an eBook from
Barnes and Noble.
- Finishing software project in Visual Basic.
- Worked with Ross Roy Advertising staff to create an administrator's manual
for the Chrysler Information System, a network used by auto dealers.
- Worked with Navistar staff to create a Build Manual, featuring pictures of
diesel engines with assembly instructions; put the same content into a
manual and on an internal web site
- Provided personalized instruction to Navistar staff in Chicago on how to
work with digital photos
- Created an extensive technical presentation for an organization at Ford
Motor Company in PowerPoint
- Writing/layout of ad brochures for various clients
- Authoring and teaching imaging mini-classes for Ford
- Creating materials for World Wide Web pages
- Documenting software projects
- Researching and selecting computer equipment for imaging and desktop
publishing for Explainamation and others
- Maintaining equipment/network and software for Explainamation.
4/90 to 9/93-- Photographer and freelance technical writer
- Publications photography for UAW, UAW/Ford Joint Education Department,
- Wrote software manuals for TEDS trust management software, Kelly Services,
79 to 4/90 --AlphaBit Communications Inc.
Founder, CEO, programmer
- Founded AlphaBit Communication Inc. (originally ABC Sales) to write and
sell software for the TRS-80 computer
- Wrote the Lazy Writer word processing system in Z-80 assembler for the
TRS-80 Model I, III, and IV.
- Wrote many add-ons and drivers for Lazy Writer
- Managed the development of other complimentary software for the TRS-80
- Managed AlphaBit Communications Inc. employees and freelance programmers
- Co-directed our direct mail and media marketing efforts
- Collaborated on writing documentation and issuing newsletters and
technical bulletins concerning our products
1969 to 1980 --Free-Lance Photographer-Writer
Free-lance photography, specializing in publications work. Clients included
the UAW, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, and others; publication credits include
Monthly Detroit, Leisure Living, Detroiter, Michigan Out-of-Doors, Kiwanis,
American Legion, Our Sunday Visitor, General Aviation Business. Also
scripted slide shows and wrote press releases for some customers.
1967 to 1969 --Photographer for the Daily Tribune in
Royal Oak Michigan.
News and feature photographer for suburban Daily Newspaper. Before joining
the Tribune, I worked on my high school and college newspapers, keeping body and
soul together at Wayne State by being Assistant Editorial Director, Summer
Managing Editor, and Photo Editor at various times.
- Established and maintain a Website for
ICARE II, Inter-County Citizens Achieving
Regional Excellence II
- Have given two presentations on imaging
at Society for Technical Communication (STC) meetings, with my wife, Theresa
- Married; father of Amy, born 2-1-85
- Former parent editor/advisor of the Best
Bear News at Best Middle School and the
Taft Tiger Tribune at Taft Elementary School,
a student publication; teaching layout, writing, and photography to students
- Organized Cyber Society, a computer
club for kids at Taft using donated computers. Cyber Society is based on
letting the kids explore computers with a minimum of adult intervention
(I was featured in the Daily
Tribune and recognized by the Ferndale City Council for my work on
- Past Advisor/ Technology Committee
member for Ferndale (Michigan) school district
- Served as Member of the Hazel Park (Michigan) Library
Technology Committee, tasked with advising how best to introduce
and expand computer technology at the Hazel Park Library.
- Served as Member of the City of Ferndale Technology
Committee, advising the city about the application of computer
technology to city operations. The committee advises on department requests
for technology spending and helps select vendors for city IT projects.
SKILLS AND SOFTWARE TOOLS:
- Understand programming from experience (See above).
- Understand program testing, marketing and user support.
- Familiar with Visual Basic, assembler and C++.
- Desktop Publishing: Have done B&W, spot and 4 color projects
using PageMaker, Ventura Publisher, Page Plus, Express Publisher.
- Graphics: Regularly use: CorelDraw and other illustration packages,
Picture Publisher, Photo Shop and other imaging, scanning, and file
- Presentation: Have done major projects in PowerPoint, Astound.
- Network: Understand network concepts, experienced with HTML
authoring packages and raw HTML, Java Script.
- Associate Degree, Grand Rapids Junior College; attended Wayne State
- Attended miscellaneous seminars and workshops, read trade publications and
books, plus search the web for information that will make life easier for us
and our clients
- Private Pilot's license, about 1000 hours flying time in single engine
aircraft, currently inactive
- Self-taught in electronics since the second grade
All rights to the material on this Web site reserved to the authors
unless otherwise noted.